Tuesday, November 22, 2016

We have nothing to fear, but the next four years

"Willpower is the key to success. Successful people strive no matter what they feel by applying their will to overcome apathy, doubt or fear." - Dan Millman

It has been only two weeks, but it feels like a lifetime. Swearing off watching, reading or listening to the President-elect requires skill. "What I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career". They will be put to good use in the next four years.


The bet was for only $50.00. That I could go one month without watching, listening or talking about sports. The honor system was in play. I'd like to tell you it was the easiest 50 bucks I ever made, but that would be untrue. And to top it off, it was during the football season. The biggest motivating factor was that I was dealing with the cheapest person on the planet. One who would take the batteries out of his transistor radio during lunch so nobody could listen.


It isn't the product that turned me off, it was the customer treatment. To deny a $500.00 prize because some poor soul didn't have all the bottle caps from the same bottling plant in spelling PEPSI was cruel and unusual. Finding a needle in a haystack would have been easier. It has been 42 years, and even having Cindy Crawford in your commercials couldn't bring me back. I hope the pour soul appreciates my support.

Lent (Latin: Quadragesima: Fortieth) is a solemn religious observance in the liturgical calendar that begins on Ash Wednesday and ends approximately six weeks later, before Easter Sunday. Giving up alcohol, donuts, chocolate cake, meat on fridays, smoking, swearing, candy or telling lies are too easy. Without Sundays, it is only 40 days.


It was July 18, 2015 when Donald Trump put me on the road to nowhere. After the flamboyant businessman turned presidential candidate belittled Senator John McCain’s war record, many Republicans concluded that silence or equivocation about Mr. Trump’s incendiary rhetoric was inadequate.

Mr. Trump upended a Republican presidential forum here, and the race more broadly, by saying of the Arizona senator and former prisoner of war: “He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”

Mr. McCain, a naval aviator, was shot down during the Vietnam War and held prisoner for more than five years in Hanoi, refusing early release even after being repeatedly beaten.

If John McCain can endure 5 1/2 years at the Hanoi Hilton, I can easily play games for the next four years turning channels, shutting off the radio, avoiding breaking news, walking away from conversations and not reading any of the daily newspapers.

I already got the ball rolling by purchasing three new remotes for the television from the cable company. Like the Dollar Shave Club, I signed up to have triple AAA batteries sent directly from the main office to my home on a monthly basis.

If by chance he wins a second term, I will grab a PEPSI and go to Plan B. If it lasts more than four years, I will call my doctor about the side effects of: nausea, dizziness, diarrhea, fatigue and stomach pain.


Paul Murphy

Follow me on Twitter at @_prmurphy






1 comment: